Monday, April 17, 2006

Bex is really going to do this!

Everyone I know that is into knitting and the internet (and that's a lot of people!)has been bugging me to get this blog going. My only resistance has been....the more time I spend blogging, the less time I have to KNIT! I've tried knitting and typing at the same time and it really slows everything down.
Soooo..here I am! I'm Bex Oliger. For those of you that have never heard of me (never been to Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe, Hillcreek Fiber Studio,or our web sites, Stitches, Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, Michigan Fiber Festival, Eastern Primative, Fort d'Chartres or Alifai River Rendezvous or any number of other events that we have been to in the last 25 years!) I run Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe in Columbia, Missouri. We have a large, and yet cozy and inviting store just 1/2 block off of Interstate 70.
My mother has owned and "toured" with Carol Leigh's Hillcreek Fiber Studio for 25 years. She teaches workshops in seven different types of weaving, including Traditional Navajo (Dinee) weaving, spinning, and natural dyeing. Growing up in that atmosphere, I had an instinctual love of natural fibers and hand dyed colors!
I started working fulltime for my mother (after earning Science and Ed degrees and having children) in 1998. At that time the knitting frenzy was just starting to resurface in the US.
Mom, not being nearly as interested in knitting as in weaving and dyeing, left it to me to develope the knitting side of things for the business. My best friend in Germany taught me to knit nearly 20 years ago, but I was rusty. I read every book available, took workshops with some of the now "BIGWIG" knitwear designers, I even did scientific studies on my swatches to really learn knit structure! Long story short, my knitting obsession and fanatic needle customers soon took over her home based studio.
Almost three years ago, Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe was set up so the knitters and crocheters would have their own place to call home!
More later...gotta knit! I'll get pictures of my latest projects up soon!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted! I'm so proud!

:) Marsha

3:50 PM  
Blogger denyse said...

You did it! Congratulations and welcome aboard.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Shelob said...

HA! I found you! This is looking great! Love the history and the pictures. Great ways to get this up and going. Yarn and workshop updates are also fun to read about. Pictures are wonderful, and with all the new Noro that's just come in, you've plenty more to talk about!

Great start!

--Christy Porter

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Blog, Bex - I'll be lurking mostly, but watching for new stuff to happen in the shop - should I ever stop back in, I'll have an idea what to expect :)!

USAF Ann in ND

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home