Friday, April 13, 2007

Eunny Knits

At the last meeting of the knitter's study group of the Columbia Spinners and Weavers Guild, someone mentioned Interweave Knits had just gotten a new editor, Eunny Jang. I finally got around to visiting her blog, and it is FABULOUS. She's so creative!

She has several articles on various techniques and patterns available: some for free, some for purchase. See Eunny Knit.

I latched on to the Print O' the Wave Stole immediately. I'm considering doing it in a Jagerspun, or possibly in some of that cashmere I spent so long winding. I'd have to take it to a Play-Day, of course, to dye it to a different color (right now it's sort of a salmony coral).

I read up about kool-aid dying. It sounds intriguing but when I mentioned it to Bex, she said it isn't very colorfast. I can see that. I still might give it a try. During my Kool-aid research I found a technique for mason jar dying. You just put small quantities of yarn in each jar with an acid dye and load all the jars in a stove top canning pot. She pointed out I couldn't dye much yarn that way, but I said it would be a great way to dye many colors for Bohus socks. She pointed out that I could take little bundles of yarn to one of Carol Leigh's dying workshops and drop one in each pot to get many different and vibrant colors. At that point I thought about the little sampling of naturally dyed yarn in amazing colors that Carol Leigh snipped for me to take home to my mom, who is very fond of natural dyes.

Yup. I think Bex is right. I never knew natural dyes could be so vivid. I'm absolutely in love with one of their polk dyes. So I suppose that's what I will do instead of the mason jar technique.

I finished up the edit on my magic loop sock pattern earlier this week and sent it to my editor (aka my mom ). I'm hoping to have copies printed and at the shoppe by Tuesday, barring any delays for finishing tax returns. I took input from early purchasers to make some parts clearer and/or easier, and I added a second heel option especially for auto-striping yarns. I'm rather pleased with it. I'll also be teaching a class on the technique on, Saturday, May 5th.

Back to Eunny. She's responsible for this digression because I read an entry on her blog about Kool-aid dyed socks. Check out this pattern for Anemoi Mittens. What do you think are the odds we could talk Bex into teaching a class on these mittens? I've really never seen anything like them. They almost look like needlepoint.

I'm excited about Eunny Jang taking the reins at Interweave Knits. I already enjoy the magazine and hope it will be even better with her additions. Do you remember the entrelac socks in the last issue (not the most recent, but the one before, with the wrap around sweater I'm knitting for Bex)? That's a Eunny Jang design. I think Bex was going to do a class on it too....

2 Comments:

Blogger Craftypiggie said...

Hi i too am planning on dying with koolaid sounds fun and easy i have a question will you be selling your pattern online i love to buy it
kat

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Hi Kat!

Yes, my sock pattern will be available at http://www.hillcreekyarnshoppe.com as soon as I get it back from the printer. My editor (aka my mom) did a squeaker with her taxes, finishing last night. She's working on editing and formating my pattern now and we should have it printed tomorrow.

The cost of the pattern is $7.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home