Friday, September 22, 2006

Where is the Yarn Monkey?

Is it all a cruel hoax? Is the Yarn Monkey toying with us? That's the crux of discussion on the official Sock Wars forum.

We've received word they are having severe storms, even a hurricane in Ireland, with power outages. The Yarn Monkey resides in Belfast, or so it is rumored. I just hope everyone affected by the storms weathers them safely, even if they're given MY dosier and are furiously knitting socks of death for me.

It looks like my pup, Ruby, may have run off with my rainbow yarn. I'm down to five socks as it is because she keeps stealing and stashing them who-knows-where. I know they're not going in the water bowl, which is where she always heads when she steals my cellphone. Other than that, I have no idea.

So.......

I stayed up all night, searching for the yarn and checking my inbox for the dosier of my victim. No luck on either count. When Hillcreek opened this morning I charged over to reload. Since I purchased that first ball of ammo, YM posted a required yardage of 160-180 yds in a 50 g ball. That may be DK in Belfast, but it's more like sport in Missouri. So I wound up getting a different yarn anyway.

This time I'm going with 100% black wook, a la Brown Sheep. Since Ruby stole my yarn, I'm stealing some of hers. I've collected up several balls of sparkly red yarn for various collar scrunchies and other decorative accessories for her. So I'll be embellishing my socks of death with Yarn Bee Gilt Eyelash in "Star Ruby." My goal is to make socks that look like charred stumps with blood pouring out of the top. REAL deadly socks.

I also picked up some red gilt embroidery floss for embellishment in case I get stuck behind Sunday and have to wait to send them out. If that happens, I'll duplicate stitch in some catchy slogans. Right now I'm considering putting "Do not ask for whom the sock is knit" on one sock and, "It was knit for thee -- Sock War '06." OTOH, with only 50 g of yarn, I'm not sure the socks will be big enough to hold all that text, so it might just be "kill" and "die."

There's some discussion about international mailing and customs, and the fact we shouldn't send our socks in camo wrapping or put any threats or crossed-bones on them. I suppose ticking socks are also out of the question.

Well, I'm not in good shape. I stayed up night before last, trying to finish some felted hats being sent to "Afghans for Afghan" today at five (I need time to let them dry). Then I stayed up all night last night, waiting for my dossier from the Yarn Monkey. How much longer can I last?

On top of everything else, we're doing that crochet gathering to make pink ribbons for the Susan G. Komen breast cancer thingy, "Positively Pink for a Cure." I warned Joan I might just be there for moral support and may be furiously knitting socks of death instead of ribbons of hope and sisterhood. She said she understood.

Okay, back to sit on my inbox, checking for the umpteen jillionth time to see if I'll ever learn who I'm to kill and how (what pattern).

Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger fledchen said...

You do know that Afghans for Afghans doesn't accept felted items, right?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

DRAT!!! You're right. I went and looked it up and it does say no felted items. Any idea why? They didn't explain. Well, I hope they re-donate the cute little Paddington Bear hat I made. The other two missed the boat so they went to local (in Columbia, MO) children.

5:25 PM  
Blogger fledchen said...

My wild guesses would be that it has to do with customs regulations. Felted stuff might not fit the legal definitions of "knitted" or "crocheted" items, which is what their customs paperwork would say is in the shipment. Or, it could be because felted stuff also stretches less than plain knitting, so it would fit a smaller range of people.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home